When the red light is flashing on Dyson Airwrap, it indicates that the filter is heavily dirty or the airflow is somehow blocked.
But if the air vents and the filter are clean, there is another underlying issue!
Maybe the internal grate is tangled with hair or dust.
Rebeka wrote Homespoiler:
“I’ve had Dyson Airwrap for 3 months now, and it was working perfectly fine. Today, I plugged it in and pressed the power button, hoping to style my hair, but now red light flashing on dyson airwrap. Cleaned the filter and air vents, no luck. F**king brand, wasted my 600$.”—Rebeka, California
In this article, I will break down why your Dyson Airwrap is blinking red light and it’s not working, and what you have to do if cleaning the filter doesn’t fix this issue.
Let’s dive into it…
Why is my Dyson Airwrap Flashing Red/White
In general, when the red light flashes on the Dyson Airwrap, it’s a sign of a clogged filter, blocked airflow, or overheating.
However, there are two main factors to consider:
♦ Red Light Flashing on Dyson Airwrap:
If you see your Dyson Airwrap flashing red light, it means that the device is not getting enough airflow. This can be caused by several factors, such as clogged filters or a blockage in the airflow path.
In some cases, this may also indicate a problem with the internal circuit board or overheating of the device.
♦ Dyson Airwrap Blinking White Light:
Similarly, if you see your Dyson Airwrap flashing white light, it means the air vent is clogged with dust or the internal grate is tangled with hair.
Often, you might notice that your Airwrap keeps shutting off. This is also caused by the aforementioned issues!
How to Fix Dyson Airwrap Blinking Red Light
Here are detailed guidelines:
Step 1: Power Cycle the device (Don’t Skip)
I know this is something no one even wants to hear, even me.
But it really works!
If you think the filter is clean and the device is blinking without reason, power cycling would be the solution.
- Completely disconnect the Airwrap from the power outlet.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes until it cools down.
- During this time, press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds.
- Once done, power it back on.
Check whether the Airwrap is still blinking. If the issue still persists, move on to the next step.
Step 2: Clean the filter properly (You did Wrong)
You might have cleaned the filter several times, but it’s still blinking!
It’s possible that the filter is still dirty or the air vent is still blocked. Maybe you haven’t properly cleaned it as much as it needs
Here’s how to clean the Airwrap filter properly:
- Before starting the process, unplug the device from the outlet. (It’s mainly for safety purposes to prevent you from getting shocked when cleaning.)
- Take the brush and pass it through the cable. Pull the brush over the hair styler after you’ve inserted it through the cable. Now rotate the bristles in a circular motion around the air filter.
- Pull the bottom air filter slowly out of the hair styler, but do not remove it from the cable.
- Spin the filter cleaner brush in a circular motion around the uncovered air filter and blow away any accumulated dust.
- You can also wash the filter using tap water. But after washing, let it dry completely.
- Finally, place the air filter piece back on.
Now, again, check whether the Dyson Airwrap is still flashing a white or red light. If not, congratulations!
You fixed it
You can also soak the air filter in a detergent/shampoo solution for 5-10 minutes for proper cleaning. The filter uses a dual-layered filtration system with an 85-micron mesh to protect the hair dryer’s internal components from contaminants. So, soaking it in a detergent solution for 5-10 minutes is the best cleaning procedure, in my opinion!
Step 3: Tangled Hair in the motor/grate
Remember, this is very rare, but not impossible
“I had the same problem finally solved it. There are two small stars screws at the base near the metal screens. Remove those and pull off the screen assembly. It’s a little scary, but it does come off easily enough then about an inch and a half inside the body of the dryer there’s another little grate. Ours was clogged with hair and dust. It took a pair of tweezers to reach in there and pull it out. I have no idea how the hair got inside the body, as I would think that the metal filter would have prevented that.”
So, do what she advised.
Or you can follow the steps below:
- Unplug the Dyson Airwrap from the power outlet for safety.
- Carefully inspect the barrels, attachments, and any other openings for visible hair or debris. Use a small brush or tweezers to remove any obstructions gently.
- If you can’t see any tangled hair from the outside, you may need to open the device slightly (if possible) to access the internal grate or fans. Be extremely cautious during this process to avoid damaging the device or voiding the warranty.
- Using a flashlight, check for hair or debris inside the device. If you can see any, gently remove it with a brush, tweezers, or compressed air.
Hope this will help! Let me know in the comment box…
Step 4: Replace the Motherboard
If you have tried all of the above methods and the Airwrap is still flashing red, one of its internal circuits may have been fried or stopped working correctly.
This could be due to poor preservation, water damage, or other issues.
In such cases, the only option is to contact Dyson for further assistance. Another good news is that If you purchased your Dyson Airwrap within the last two years, you could file a warranty claim.
But keep in mind that the warranty covers only the following issues:
- Manufacturer’s defects
- Cracked or broken pieces
Note: The warranty will not cover day-to-day damage, irresponsible maintenance, and modifications. Dyson will send you a new product for free if they cannot fix the defective component in your appliance.
Q. Nothing worked! What to do?
If none of the methods mentioned above solve the problem, then there is nothing left for you to do. It is best if you call a qualified repairer and have the device repaired!
Also, if your device is under warranty, contact Dyson Customer Care.
Q. Dyson Airwrap flashing red even after cleaning the filter
If your Airwrap is still continuously flashing even after you’ve cleaned the filter, it’s that the filter needs to be replaced or the motherboard has been damaged!
Abdul Kader, a handy guy and experienced founder of a TV repair shop in Gulshan, Dhaka, Bangladesh. He is mainly an expert in understanding and repairing different types of issues with Smart TVs and providing helpful insights on how to keep them in good working order. Read his Full Story.