10 Home Maintenance Slip Ups That Could Cost You a Fortune

Slide to Continue

1. Ignoring smoke detectors

Smoke detectors are your first line of defense against fires. Ignoring them could mean you miss warning signs of a fire, endangering your family and property.

2. Incorrect wattage light bulbs

Using light bulbs with a higher wattage than what your fixtures are designed for can cause overheating and increase the risk of fire

3. Overloading electrical outlets

Overloading outlets with too many plugs or devices can cause electrical fires. Be sure to distribute your electrical load evenly across multiple outlets.

4. Skipping furnace maintenance

Furnaces require regular maintenance to operate efficiently and safely. Skipping maintenance can lead to carbon monoxide leaks or fires.

5. Ignoring water leaks

Leaks in your plumbing can lead to water damage, mold, and even structural damage. Addressing leaks early can prevent more costly repairs down the line.

6. Skipping chimney cleaning

Chimneys need to be cleaned regularly to prevent the buildup of creosote, which can cause fires.

7. Incorrect cleaning products

Using the wrong cleaning products can damage surfaces, release toxic fumes, or cause fires. Always read labels and use products as directed.

8. Neglecting dryer maintenance

Dryer lint buildup is a common cause of house fires. Clean your lint filter after every use and have your dryer vent professionally cleaned at least once a year.

9. Using damaged appliances

Appliances that are damaged or worn out can pose a safety risk. Repair or replace appliances that are no longer functioning properly.

10. Forgetting to change air filters

Dirty air filters can lead to reduced air flow and decreased indoor air quality. Change your air filters regularly to maintain a healthy living environment.